My dad went camping out at the Knolls in the West Desert while my mom, brother and sister were gallivanting around NYC. My dad was out there 4-wheeling with some friends and invited Dal and Maggie and I out Friday night to stay.
We headed out after work and got there right as it was really getting dark. The wind wasn't too bad and the temperature wasn't either so we all sat around the fire and hung out and roasted marshmallows.
Maggie was a little out of sorts of a while with other dogs around and a bunch of kids running around, a fire, a bunch of sand and people she didn't know and in the darkness. We took turns holding her on our laps and she was as content as could be. We tried to keep her on a blanket or artificial turf to keep her incision as clean as possible. She's due to get her stitches out Monday so it was pretty well healed. She did really great for her first time camping!
We were able to sleep in my dad's trailer which is about the extent of my camping abilities. We had a nice bed and Maggie slept in her crate and snored all night. The heater would kick on so we stayed relatively comfortable and there's a potty in there so no need to head out in the cold for the mile drive to the outhouse. It was definitely the way to go.
The next morning we crated Maggie in the trailer and headed out 4-wheeling on the dunes and dry lake bed. She did not like us being out of sight and would whine and bark but she was ok. I was nervous to be out on the machines because of the baby and took it really slow and easy. Besides a little incident where I thought it was going to roll so I went with the machine and ended up on a 90 degree angle at the top of a sand dune cliff, it was rather uneventful. The boys drove their machines fast and I stayed at 20 MPH. We went out to this thing called "The Missile" and then headed back to camp and packed up.
It was a short and sweet trip but it was nice to get away for a minute and do something different. Maggie slept the whole way home and all day once we got home. I think all the attention she got from the many kids loving on her really wore her out. After 5 loads of laundry, I think we are sand and campfire smell free. Thanks for the invite dad, it was a blast!
No comments:
Post a Comment