
Monday rolls around and Dallin has the day off and it was going to be up to him to take her there before 9 a.m. Since I was up, I got her ready and she was so sad I couldn't give her any food or treats. She only ate a few ice cubes. I was worried that Dal would fall back asleep and she would miss her appointment so I pulled my hormonal self somewhat together and decided to take her myself.
I think the poor new people at the vet thought I was a nut case with my no makeup, tear-stained, puffy face. I said my see you later and bawled the whole way to work and most of the day. I was hoping that they would call earlier so Dallin could pick her up and let her rest at home. The receptionist called around 2:30 p.m. and said that she did really well and was resting and that Dallin could pick her up after 4:30 p.m.
The doctor was able to break her bone and pin it. I told him to be as aggressive as possible. If he was in there I wanted him to fix anything that was even borderline. So he also put a little wire in there to keep her knee cap in place and he said it was moving smoothly and you can tell. He even removed all the scar tissue from the last surgery and gave her a "leg lift."
I was on my way to a chiropractor appointment when Dallin called and told me she had had a seizure right before he went to pick her up. He was able to visit with her and talk to the vet. The vet thought that the combination of all the pain meds (which had already had a weird neurological effect in the past) and stress and that she got her seizure meds late caused it. The dear, sweet vet offered to take Maggie home with him and watch her all night, have her sleep next to his bed in case she needed another quick dose of Valium, and feed her. We decided that would be the best option because we wouldn't sleep worrying about her at home and he has the drugs.
Maggie did really well that night and they hospitalized her throughout the day again while we were at work and she did really well. She had quite the fan base who would stop by and pet her and play with her. She took all of her blankets in her bed and made a nest in the corner to bury her head into. Our little princess likes it dark when she sleeps.
It was so good to see her and bring her home. The thing that made me sad is that we made the decision to not give her any more pain meds and I was worried she would be really uncomfortable. And you know what? She seemed more chipper and happier than she had in months! She seemed groggy but happy to be home and we gave her lots of loves and treats.
Her recovery has been better (knock on wood) than any of the others combined. She seems more comfortable and happy. I'm not sure the other surgeries helped her that much. I think things got pushed out of the way so fast that it was hurting her really bad. Case and point, today she stood up and walked on it all by herself. That has never happened after the other ones!
I'm glad we pulled the trigger and did it and that she seems to be doing better. Keep her in your prayers that the inflammation stays away and we are really on the road to recovery. What I've learned with Maggie is that you have to be as aggressive as possible and it usually takes 6 months to resolve her issues. But we eventually figure it out. We love our Magpie and are so excited for her new knee.
No comments:
Post a Comment