Friday, July 31, 2015

Snowbird Tram

Suzanne and I took the kids up to Snowbird to ride the tram as part of our Salt Lake Connect Pass.  With both our babies coming soon, and our pass expiring in September, we still have a few things to try.  We loaded the carseats in a car and headed up the canyon.

Every morning Zoey asks me where we are going.  I told her that today we were going up into the mountains and a "hike."  We got up there are had about a 20 minute wait until the next tram ride up.  The kids (and moms) enjoyed some snacks and the kids ran around.  We got on the tram and we watched the resort disappear behind us.  Zoey pointed at some "kids" hiking, they looked so small as we went up the mountain.  Each bridge (there were 4) sent us swaying a bit but it wasn't too bad.

When we got to the top, it was 60 glorious degrees.  It felt like heaven!  We had a 20 minute wait until the tram went back down. They were doing construction up there and we were warned to keep a close eye on the littles.  We took some photos and they looked around.  We went to get another picture on the tram and Zoey stepped squarely on the gap between the tram and the platform and her foot and leg fell through.  She started screaming and my heart about stopped.  (You can see the photo of the gap below).  Her foot was just little enough.   I knelt down and fiddled and wiggled and it just wouldn't budge.  I was starting to panic and she already was.  I finally bent the sole of her shoe just enough to free her.  It took me a while to calm down after.  All that adrenaline made the 11,000 ft. elevation air not seem so thin.

The ride back down was a bit more crowded and I was glad to be back down.  We ate lunch in the car on the way home and kept the kids awake so they'd take a nap.  Both of Zoey's legs were a bit scratched up from her fall and she told everyone how she went on the tram and slipped and fell.  I'm a safety freak of a mom who borders on helicopter and it was just a horrible wake up call to realize accidents can happen in the blink of an eye regardless of how "prepared" and vigilant I try to be.  I'm so glad it wasn't anything worse.




The Gap

No comments: