Friday, November 16, 2012

What a Night

Precious little face!
Yesterday was my last study as part of the NUM2B study at the U.  you can enjoy the pictures of our last little peek at the peanut.  She's growing great and is almost 2 pounds!  They said she's in the 61st percentile.  Her head is still measuring large but it was smashed down in my pelvis so they couldn't get a super good measurment on it.  She was all bent in half.  She has my whole upper belly to stretch out in and she's in the tiniest spot possible. It was amazing to see how big she is now.  She used to fit all on the screen but now you can only see half of her. 

On the way to the study, I started to get some pretty uncomfortable back pain.  I'd been straining to pee so I figured a UTI was coming on fast and strong.  I called the doc and since it was so close to 5, they said the nurse would call me tomorrow.


Long legs!
I survived the study appointment besides always feeling like I had to pee.  I decided to call the on-call doc since I was already at the hospital, I could just go pee in the cup at the lab and not have to come back tomorrow during work.  She told me to go the the Labor & Delivery ER immediately and get monitored and to make sure I didn't have an upper UTI (which is what my mom had when she delivered me 5 weeks early.)  So my mom and I headed over there while Dallin took his mom home.  I thought I'd pee in a cup, they'd monitor me for a minute and we'd be on our way.
 Everything from the cup came back clean and so they started doing more and more tests while the pain got more and more intense.  The only thing that felt ok was to sit and strain to pee which in turn made me throw up all the acid reflux I'd started having recently.  It was not fun.  At all.

Face with hands over her head

They put me on a blood pressure cuff since my pressure was high, ran more urine tests, blood tests, had the baby hooked up to the monitor and did a pelvic exam.  The good news was that it wasn't preeclampsia and I definitely wasn't in early labor (whew) but they couldn't figure out what was going on.  Once the blood tests finally came back, everything still looked fine so the only explanation was a kidney stone due to where the pain was in my back and how it was radiating around to my front.  They loaded me up with Lortab and sent me on my way after 3.5 hours.

I just wanted to get home so I rolled the windows down and sped my way there, I SO did not feel good.  I got home, had Dallin give me a blessing, and took my meds and felt amazing once they started to kick in.  I went to bed and was on the verge of falling asleep but could never get there.  And the hours ticked on. And on. And on.  The night really is long when you're up all through it.  The longest period of sleep I got was an hour and then the meds wore off and I was on the toilet every 45 min. or less, shaking in pain.  I've only had this pain one other time (same kidney) where they told me it was a kidney infection.  I really think it was a stone that time too.  6:30 a.m. rolled around (I'd been counting the hours until 9 a.m. to when the pharmacy opened so I could get more Lortab) and the pain subsided.  There was no way I could go to work after being up all night and I was terrified the pain would come back.  I NEVER want to feel that pain again.  So the assumption is that the stone passed.  For the pain to be that intense then suddenly disappear, and where it was all localized, that's the only explanation.

I stayed home from work and my boss decided to give the 3rd row U of U football tickets I'd won to Saturday night's game away since I wasn't there on Friday even though Dallin was going to go pick them up.  So nice of him.  I was pissed because that was the last thing I was wanting to deal with after being delirious in pain and not sleeping all night.  Plus, I was feeling better.  But whatever, I'm not surprised.

I slept until 2 p.m. today and feel a lot better except for being still so very tired, feeling like I got hit by a truck and my back is tender.  I'm so grateful that everything is better and that it was nothing more serious and the little peanut is still staying put and was ok through the whole ordeal.  Praying that NEVER happens again!

No comments: