
Took my sweet Mags on a walk Monday. We've had a little beef with the neighbor's small, new dog. It's always left outside by itself kinda tied up. It's a loose tie, but it's not very big. Sunday they sniffed each other and it lunged to bite Maggie, luckily I just had to wipe some spit off her leg and it didn't do anything. So Monday we headed down our normal route, passing, WIDELY by the dog. Mags loves dog and people and wants to sniff them but even this time she steered clear, wouldn't go near the thing. We made it to her potty spot and I see it barking at Maggie and running toward her. I'm waiting for it to hit the end of it's rope and choke itself out but it just keeps coming. Dang thing had gotten loose.
It gets to Mags in record time, snarling, and goes under her belly barking and chomping. I was LIVID. My missionary instinct kick in and I drop to grab a rock, but oh, we're on the grass, there are no rocks, and oh, we're not in Ecuador where dogs respond to such actions. I grab its leash trying to keep it away from Maggie while she is trying to run away from it and march it to its owners...who aren't home. As I'm on their doorstep the owner drives up and I explain what happened and how it got loose and bit Maggie. I thought it just nipped her.

We proceed on our walk and get home and she lays down after all the excited. Then I see her belly bleeding. I look and that &#$#@!*@ dog got her good right on the belly by her privates. The rage. Ohhhhh, the rage. I march down there and the owner doesn't answer. I call the vet and they tell me to come in and get her an antibiotic so it doesn't get infected. $70 later I get home (where we're late for FHE) and Dallin and I go down to make sure their dog is up-to-date on its shots. Nope, hasn't had a rabies shot. Any offer to cover our $70? Nope. Just an apology. At least we got that. Still didn't help calm my boiling.
So Mags is luckily fine. The vet said that he's never seen a dog go under another and do that and bite in such a tender spot and that that was vicious. He could see all the little teeth marks and puncture. So she is on antibiotics, no need for stitches. It was just the whole principal of it all. We live in a neighborhood where dogs aren't allowed to be leash-curbed and we don't have fences. What if that had been a little kid? We've tried to be good owners and train her, went to obedience school, and let her pee on our floor for a year until she could hold it while we were away. It was a waste of time and money for something that was completely unprovoked and avoidable if it would have been inside like it was supposed to be. I better not see its little head around these parts again.
1 comment:
I would be so mad! I am glad she will be okay!
Post a Comment