Monday, August 29, 2011

Hospital - Update #2

Maggie had another seizure yesterday. This time it was the early evening and Dallin had her out to go potty. Her front legs collapsed and she started seizing. Unfortunately, it was on some sharp rocks which I'm sure made it very uncomfortable. He called me and I rushed down and we stroked her belly and told her everything would be ok. Luckily this one wasn't quite as severe as the other. After, she wanted to get off the rocks but couldn't stand because her legs were still tremoring. It was so heartbreaking. She collapsed in the grass to take a nap. We carried her inside and let her sleep while we both cried. I was a mess, again.

At least this time we can start fixing it. I know we would have just been waiting around, wondering if and when it was going to happen again. I called the vet this morning and went and picked up a prescription for her and started that tonight. Too bad it could take up to 2 weeks for it to start working in her system. After the 2 weeks we'll see if it's working. If it isn't, then we'll up the dose. If it is working for the next couple months and she's too groggy/dopey, we'll start weening her off little by little. Some dogs can be completely weened off and never have a seizure again, that is what we're aiming for.

She seems to be back to her perky self this evening. I think it took about 24 hours before she fully recovered from this last one. Her back legs kept slipping. Here's to hoping we get our Mags back to good as new in no time.

1 comment:

Emily W said...

I think it is just as hard to watch animals go through this stuff as it is to watch humans. I hope things work out for Maggie. She seems like such a sweetheart.