Monday, August 15, 2011

Help

I haven't been shy about my feelings but if you haven't heard, The Help is one of my all-time most favorite books. It touched me so deeply and it was a story I could entirely get lost in. The characters were developed so wonderfully and I agree with the critics claiming it is a new classic. Dallin and I went and saw the movie on Friday night. I was a little apprehensive making him see it with me, wasn't sure if it'd be good or too chick-flick or what, but we both LOVED it. There are rare times that come along when a movie is just as good as its literary counterpart. The movie did not disappoint. He'll kill me for saying this but we both cried in it. I cried my eyes out. Afterward, he said, "I'm really glad I went and saw that movie." He never says that.

The movie, in particular, because it was most recent, really made me reflect on how we treat each other. It is horrific and heartbreaking to sit and watch how horrible people can be to one another. Not just racially, even just with those we feel don't fit into our circle of friends (ala Celia Foote). It made me recommit to being a little kinder and gentler to those around me, you never know the fight they are battling daily. I encourage everyone to see the movie. It will touch your heart and hopefully help us all be kinder to those around us.

No comments: