Tuesday I went with my good friends to the John Mayer concert out at USANA. I go to this concert every year if he comes. It's always fun to lay out on the grass and just stare up into the sky and listen to great music.This time when we arrived, they hadn't sold out the seat seats so we were upgraded for free! We liked the idea since you could see better and our old bones get tired on the hard ground!
Owl City opened up and they were pretty good. I only know the songs that have been on the radio. Eventually John graced the stage. Now John Mayer can be pretty vulgar. It seems like whenever he comes to Utah he always tries to tone it down, and for that, I am grateful. Sometimes you have to wonder what he's been smoking before coming on stage because many concerts have been complete gibberish or him playing a different song than he said he was going to play.This time we only got a moderately hammered John Mayer and he was hysterical. He came out dressed in jeans that were rolled up, a shirt, a rain jacket, high tops and a bandana. I wondered for a while if he got dressed in the dark until he addressed the situation that he is single (obviously) and represents no one so he can dress how he wants to - thus the ensemble. He said one day he'll meet a girl, and she'll tell him not to wear that, and he'll say great because he'll love her. It was kind of sweet in a weird sort of way.

John's also known for his political rantings and opinions via twitter. Since he had an audience I thought he's use that to the best of his ability but he actually had something pretty profound to end the show with. He said this saying may have, quite literally, saved his life and it is the answer to anything he hears - "I want names." If someone tells you everyone thinks you suck or you're not pretty, etc. tell them, "I want names." And you know what? There aren't any. It's all smoke and mirrors. A big fog of negativity. When you have the self-talk that you're not good enough and no one likes you, ask yourself for names. And unless they've said it to your face, you won't be able to come up with any. So enjoy life and be positive. Huh. John Mayer is deep. His lyrics aren't just pretty words. But if you want to hear some, listen to some classics like Neon or Slow Dancing in a Burning Room. You forget how great his songs are.
Cami had the quote of the day, "His voice is so sexy. It's like butter dripping off his face and you just want to lick it up." Couldn't agree more. And that guy can slay a guitar. Wish he would have jammed for hours. I heart John Mayer. Thanks for going with me ladies and making a pretty crappy day a whole lot better.
1 comment:
I love that you got upgraded. I seem to remember that the last time we went to the concert he was dating Jennifer Aniston and she was rumored to be in Utah.
Post a Comment