Monday, September 20, 2010

Buds

I never wanted to serve a mission. In my patriarchal blessing, I always knew I would but I found reasons not to. One day the thought came to me, as all my summer plans were falling through, that I should serve. I thought of every reason not to. One of the stupidest reasons I came up with was that I already had a hard enough time keeping up with the friends I already had, that I couldn't possibly need more and couldn't handle more. Ugh. I can't believe that I admitted that even crossed my mind.

The friends I made on my mission are some that I share a bond with that I can't describe. I spent 24/7 with most of these women and came to know them and love them so deeply in such a short amount of time it would have taken years under normal circumstances. There is a bond there that cannot be broken and an understanding of that time of my life that only they comprehend. They, and only they, understand the heat, the heartbreak, the sweat, the ugly dogs (ha ha) and the joy that was my mission. OUR mission. Serving the Lord, in Ecuador.

I can't imagine my life without these ladies and the talents and understanding they bring. We don't get together as often now as life has taken us to different areas and as our own family demands more of our time. But they will always hold a special place in my heart (even those who weren't able to make it to our dinner) and I hope we can continue to pick up where we left off even as time passes. Queridas hermanas - gracias por su amistad. Que Dios les bendiga siempre.

4 comments:

Emily W said...

It's either been too long or I am too old. Who's in the picture? I wish I could have been there. Although if I were still in Utah I probably would have been working. Maybe one day!!! Oh how i miss those ugly dogs.

Shannon said...

I had the exact same thoughts! Love ya!

rozanny said...

I wish I could have been there! I try to make it to all of them... but I think I've only made it twice. Dang sick kids! We love you too Amy! It's amazing what serving the Lord can do!

Steph said...

I couldn't have wished for a better mom on the mission. :) You made me the missionary I was for the rest of my time there... dedicated to serving and loving, and not numbers!! :) You are awesome!! Love you!!