We went to the Greek Festival again this year (like every year). A lot of you may not know, but I come from a very Greek background. Couldn't you tell? ha ha Actually, authentic Greeks were very blond with blue eyes. It wasn't until the Egyptians migrated in that Greeks took on the darker look. I was not blessed with the tan skin like some of my siblings. :(My great-grandpa immigrated to the USA directly from Greece. Little is known about his history or family there or his travels to arrive in Utah but he eventually did and married my great-grandma and settled in Central Utah. He died at the age of 27 from Black Lung from working in the mines and my grandpa doesn't remember his dad. His mom refused to talk about him so he's somewhat of a mystery to us except for a few photos.
But that doesn't make us not proud to be Greek! I was blessed to travel to Greece about 4 years ago and visit some of my heritage. And the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Spot on. I love everything about the culture and even though it is a small part of my lineage, I love telling people that I'm Greek!
The food at the festival was especially delicious this year. The lamb was so tender in the Gyros and there was lots of yummy cucumber sauce to drench it in. We also go some Loukoumades and enjoyed some Baklava. It was extra sweet this year with lots of honey. We brought some food back to my grandpa who thought it was delicious and we were so glad to celebrate his heritage with him! Opa!
1 comment:
I hope you ate an extra Baklava for me.:)
Post a Comment