Thursday, September 16, 2010

Business

Ever since my previous job, Dallin has been encouraging me to start my own company. The flexibility is the most attractive thing about it. If we start a family, then I could work from home. At first the idea terrified me (well, kinda still does) but also intrigued me. I bought all these books on Amazon about starting your own graphic design business (the laws, the paperwork, the copyrights, the contracts, etc.) but have yet to read them. Maybe that's why I'm not COMPLETELY terrified yet. ha ha
Anyway, I can design. I can come up with concepts but usually people have something in mind of how they'd like something to look. Bingo - pick me! If you can verbalize it, I can create it. I can probably even make it better. So that's where I am right now, contemplating starting my own graphic design company and doing contract work. I talked to three people the other day and all three needed help. And you know what? I'll do it for 1/2 what those other guys are charging you because I can do it in 1/2 the time. It blows my mind that people take 7 hours to make the simplest design then take 2 hours to change a silly phone number on your ad. I can do it in 5 min. Multi-tasker right here!

So we'll see what happens. I need to send my portfolio out to those contacts and see if anyone picks up the bait. I'd just much rather put up with my own craziness then work for crazy people. If you know of any companies or individuals who need help designing or laying out things - let me know! I'm even working on a logo. What do you think?

6 comments:

Laura said...

so does this mean you are done with your last job?

I LOOOOVE the logo you came up with! Good luck, regardless of what you choose to do.

Ann said...

No way! Sooo cool!! Wish I had the talent to do something like that! Go you!!

rozanny said...

I like it! I may have to persuade my boss to use you instead of me... I'm getting tired of having to design stuff without real software... yuck.

Suz said...

I love the entire idea. Setting your own hours would be awesome. Reminds me a little of our designing days on yearbook.

sexychoco said...

I like the new logo. And you are amazing. You have the skills and gumption to start your own company ;) You'll do great!!

Maria said...

Looks great! I may even have some leads I can give you. Several of my old co-workers often need contract design work.