I started my part-time job yesterday. I wrestled with the decision a lot. Ultimately, I'm looking for something full-time but kind of felt like I had to take this job so my unemployment wouldn't be denied. I negotiated a pay raise with them so I'm making $60 more a week working 24 hours there than I would doing nothing at home and collecting unemployment. So it was kind of a hard decision because I feel like I'm making about $3/hour. With the 24 hours, I'll be making barely more than I would on unemployment so I'm not going to be able to collect any.
I'm working for a medical device company doing marketing, graphic design and media buying. All things like before. I'm actually really liking it. I have a lot of creative license and lots of projects. The job could potentially turn into full-time if I find enough to do to fill up 40 hours. I'm only working three days a week so it's been a nice transition from not working at all, to only having to go in three days a week. It's been better on Maggie too. Yesterday was my first day and she destroyed her area. Dallin got home first and he said it was BAD. Today, she just pulled her bed and blankets out of her crate but didn't rip up the puppy pad or relieve herself all over her space. We're making progress! Hopefully she'll get used to it soon. Me too, I haven't worked a full 8-hour day in I can't even tell you how long...
But I'm grateful for the opportunity and to not be a (legitimate) sponge on society. I'm grateful that I've only been out of work for 6 weeks and have found somewhere I could potentially love working. I'm grateful that they are excited to have me. My boss told me yesterday that, "No offense, but I was really surprised by your work. This other guy I interviewed, judging by his portfolio, I was really excited to see what he came up with but you blew him out of the water! Your design was far and away the best of anyone's and it didn't even compare." (We had to do a design project for them to get a second interview). So that was a really nice compliment. It's nice to feel appreciated and have lots of room to grow in a company. Here's to hoping it turns into something full-time and awesome.
2 comments:
That's awesome Amy! Good for you!
I'm glad the first couple days went well. I hope the next few are even better.
Post a Comment