Yesterday we took Maggie to our friends' house to introduce her to their dog. They go along pretty well. We took them to the dog park out by the Jordan River Parkway. It was a really cool little place. The dog area is huge and all enclosed and so you can just let the dogs off their leashes and let them run and play to their heart's content. The dog park was covered in wood chips...uh oh. Actually, she left them all alone! There were big dogs there and Maggie just thought she was one of them. She ran/sprinted with them to the point I thought she was going to overheat and pass out/die so I made her sit for a while and sprayed her with water because she wouldn't drink or eat any ice cubes.
The park had hydrants, tunnels, a track and a nice little shaded sitting area for the humans. I'm glad she got to get out and play. She crashed hard. After the park we were going to go on a walk along the river. The river is so high that it's started to flood some of the lower walkways. We took the dogs down there so they could drink some river water and get their feet wet. Mags was really unsure at first but then had a great time getting all wet and muddy. Then we heard this screaming...
We thought it was just some kids playing but it sounded awful and didn't stop. My husband, so brave, decided to go check things out with my friend's husband. They start walking, then running into this tunnel area. We follow behind and they find this little boy laying on the ground who'd broken his arm in a bike accident. They were the first ones on the scene and helped keep this 11-year-old kid calm. They called the neighbors (who he was biking with since his parents were out shopping) and talking to him about his scouts, his upcoming birthday, sports, family, anything to keep his mind off the extreme pain his was in. It was amazing how many people biked or walked by and didn't even glance at the kid. His arm was twisted and the bone was pushing the skin out (trust me, I didn't look at it or I would have passed out but Dallin told me). Eventually a guy stopped who was an EMT and the neighbors showed up after taking their sweet time. I'm so proud of our guys and their immediate response to someone in need, without even hesitating. Made me fall in love with Dallin a little more. So it was quite the adventure!
On a side note, I found a grey hair in Dallin's head today in church. He had me pull it out and you can't imagine the huge grin he had on his face at me finding this hair. He tried to convince me it was Maggie's hair but it was in fact, a real grey hair. After I assured him of this, he told me he wished his whole head looked like that. I guffaw at such a heinous statement, but to him, it just means that he still has hair and he's happy as a clam.
2 comments:
Wow! Good job Dallin!
Dallin has a gift for distraction.
Post a Comment