Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ages in Line

So I just spent 40 minutes in line at the post office. I avoid going there like the plague but had to for work. (Dear, sweet, Gordon always makes my life miserable even when he's not trying.) I decided to go to the one in Bountiful since the one in Salt Lake is always so busy. Yeah right, there were still a million people there! After about 15 minutes, one of the two workers disappeared. The poor guy who was left had to help everybody and did so with a smile.

I don't know what it is about the post office that brings out the worst in people. You go there, you expect to wait. One lady waited 1 minute then went up to the guy and asked him if he had any help. He explained there was another girl there but he didn't know where she went and was maybe helping someone else. Another few minutes later, this same lady went to the back of the post office and was yelling at the people in the back to come out and help in the front. The rest of us who had been there 5 times longer than she had all just looked at each other.

I must admit that it is such a frustrating place. After hundreds of years of being in business, you'd think they'd have a better system and better customer service. But on the other hand, there are so many unique situations, you have to expect to wait forever in line. Not only that, but the government is drastically reducing the employees' hours so the least I can do is be patient. But if there is a violent connotation associated with your company's name (i.e. "Going postal") you should probably re-evaluate how things work.

4 comments:

d.r. gib said...

you make me laugh!

Confessions of a 30-Something Drama Queen said...

That is frustrating but in my experience, the Post Office is always crowded in the middle of the day. People wait till lunch and then expect things to move along at lightening paces. People are dumb. I hate that lady! and I feel bad for that guy, bless his heart. Sorry you had to wait so long but I'm glad you didn't go postal like that crazy lady. I can't believe she was yelling at the workers in the back. Unbelievable.

Emily W said...

You don't even want to hear my problems with the Post Office. I am considering using UPS or Fedex for everything.

I totally think they should have better customer service. I mean technically we are paying their wages.

FYI, you won't find comment cards or places to make suggestions anywhere in the Post office or online. And people still want the government to run Health Care.

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan either...I avoid it so much that I buy stamps off my mom or other people so that i don't have to go in there and get them!