I was thinking about how the Lord has guided my life throughout the years. Mainly, when I got home from my mission I was stuck at a job that I didn’t like for a year longer than I wanted to be there. My job search seemed endless and my self-esteem took a large hit. I really wanted to use my degree and the only thing I’ve thought I was decent at my whole life, was writing. And I continually got turned down knowing my writing wasn’t up to par under the pressure of job interviews and wanting to leave my current job so badly.
Then I ended up in marketing at a credit union. I’d been in the credit union industry for years doing various things and watching my dad work his way up the ladder. It was a fun job, and it was awesome to see my work in print. Last September I was offered a job in human resources there. I was flattered and my initial thought was, “No way, I’m finally doing what I love.” I talked to various people at the company and took the weekend to think about it. I went to the temple and prayed about it and have never felt such an overwhelming confirmation to take the job. So I did.
With the whole mergers of credit unions this past May, if I would have staying in marketing, I would have ended up in marketing and events here and my entire weekends and night would be filled. Making that change to HR a year ago has allowed me to stay on the HR track and keep a normal schedule so I can see Dallin and continue to further our relationship. I’m finally a contributing member to my team here and I really enjoy my job. It’s nothing flashing or too exciting (benefits books, people!) but I can write, be creative and plan events. Plus, my boss is really nice and I have a lot of flexibility in what I do. I’ve been able to go out to branches and get to know a lot of people, and even though the purple wall is my only friend here, I’m happy.
On another note, the credit union made the CEO announcement yesterday. As we already knew, it wasn’t my dad but it’ll be interesting to see how this affects my father. It was a hard day for my family. Lots of anger and sadness overwhelmed us as the reality set in that my dad didn’t get the promotion we so thought that he deserved. So I’m going to pump up my dad a little so you all think as much of him as I do.
My dad has worked at the same company for almost 30 years. He’s from that generation, but that’s still an anomaly in today’s day and age. He has worked his way up from a teller to a Senior VP during that time. I remember some Saturdays him taking me and my brother to his Ogden branch while he worked and we played. My dad has always been a hard worker. I think that is the thing that frustrates him the most about me and my siblings sometimes is just that there is no use in doing a job if you’re not going to do your best job. And I think my dad really exemplifies that.
My dad always has great advice. He keeps a real perspective on things and always strives to let the Spirit guide him. He is a spiritual giant. He has served in many capacities in the Church while juggling the demands of home and family and also work. But I think his good advice comes from having wisdom and experience in life and also a vast knowledge of the Gospel.
My dad loves people – and people love him. He’s probably the most friendly guy you’ll meet and doesn’t get nervous around people. He always has something to say and will put you at ease in conversations. He likes to laugh and likes to chat and get to know the people around him and what is going on in their lives. He knows everyone in his industry and even the owners of the San Antonio Spurs!
See why he’s a great guy? I trust that even though his puzzle pieces didn’t come together in this, there are other pieces waiting to be put into place to make the whole.
1 comment:
Amy, I agree with you about your Dad. He IS a great guy and they don't know what there are missing!! We are sad for him, but know he has great things in store for him. We love him and your WHOLE family! :)
Post a Comment