Monday, May 28, 2012

Mom's Race

Another Race for the Cure has come and gone.  We had our team, the "Treasured Chests" this year.  We went with a pirate theme but only Megan and Joy dressed up.  The rest of us are party poopers.  We were going to do shirts but with a lack of time and the expense, we decided it wasn't worth it.

This year the course started at Library Square and went down and up around Liberty Park and ended at the Square again.  I hated it.  It was such a hard race for me this time around.  Granted, I'd only been back running for a couple weeks after an 8-week hiatus and abdominal surgery, but I was pretty disappointed in myself.  I had run a sub-30 min. 5K that week on the treadmill and was feeling confident I could blow through this one, especially with the adrenaline that kicks in.

There was no adrenaline.  Actually, it was sheer panic as my iPod wouldn't work for the first 1/2 mile of the race.  I finally got it working and was able to move through the herd of people but by then my pace was off and I was flustered.  When we turned up heading East, the sun was blaring into my eyes, I had no idea where I was or how long I'd been running and I walked.  I walked/ran the rest of the way and finished in about 32 min. which tells me I was going way too fast but had no way of knowing.   Glad I did it, glad it's over.  Hope they put the course back down by the Gateway next year.

Thanks to all those who participated and came and supported our team and the quest to find a cure.  We love racing for this lady in pink!



3 comments:

Suz said...

Love the team name and love Dallin's shirt.

Lyman Life said...

I totally second Suzanne's comment!

sexychoco said...

It was lots of fun!! Glad Nick and I came to do it!