Last week Dallin and I went to Daughtry with my brother Brian and his friend Lacie. I'd been curious about the concert for a while because a) it was at Abravenal Hall. Weird right? and b) last time I saw Daughtry live, he wasn't that good. So I thought I'd give it another go because I really do love his songs.
This guy named Mike Sanchez opened first. He was alright. Songs were pretty catchy but his personality was super annoying. Next opener was SafetySuit. Can I say I am a FAN now?!? I had heard one of their songs that is currently on the radio ("Stay" - look it up) which is actually one of their older songs. The guy was such a spaz on the stage running around, very theatrical, shadow boxing the backdrop, I just couldn't peel my eyes away. Plus, he hit every freaking note, and they were BIG ones, the whole time. Right before the last song he threw a guitar pick out into the audience and immediately grabbed his shoulder. Dallin noticed it but I didn't think much of it. He then informs us that he's dislocated his shoulder and just needed to sit down for a minute. You could see the color drain right out of his face so he laid down on the stage and proceeds to try and pop it back into place in front of everybody! [Stomach turning!!] He tells us how this song is what made them popular and proceeds to sing it while writhing in pain on the floor. And he did a dang good job!! The second it's over the stage manager and everyone runs out to help him off and he kind of collapses. That warranted a standing ovation from the whole place. In the days of divas and fakers, this guy really showed that music is his passion and I'm a big fan.
Daughtry was next up. It was a pretty decent show. The guy from SafetySuit could sing circles around Daughtry though. Whether it's that he moves the mic for the big notes so you can't hear them, or he doesn't sing them because yelling every night would make him lose his voice, I don't know, but I didn't hear him hit the big notes. He had this political/fundraiser video in the middle and those always bug me. But it was a fun show. Not to mention we had KILLER seats! Front row of the first tier right next to the stage. We all caught guitar picks after the show too!
So it was a fun night. I'm a sucker for concerts anyway. They are one of my most favorite things in the world. Makes we wish (sometimes) that I'd stuck around the music industry because I'm really passionate about it but it's not the type of industry that is conducive to families and religion which is ultimately what is REALLY important to me. I can't wait for Celine in August!!
1 comment:
Reminds me of our NSYNC days!
Post a Comment