I finished one of my first contract jobs for the University of Utah Music Department recently. They have a Monster Concert every year where they have a dozen pianos on stage with up to 24 pianists performing. This year's theme was "Be Our Guest" and a Disney theme.After some deliberations, I came up with an idea of Mickey Mouse ears turned into pianos. They loved it but wanted something more colorful and came up with an entirely different vision. As annoying
as that was and the extra hours it added, I think the finished product turned out nicely! It was so fun to see it around campus.The irony of this story is that I interviewed with the U for a part-time graphic designer position a couple months ago. It was in their in-house printing department and I loved the idea of getting to work on wedding announcements, graduation announcements and a bunch of different projects. Part of the job was to go to different departments on campus and convince them to use the graphic designer and printing on-campus. No joke, within a week of being
declined, I got a call to do work for one of the departments. My friend Melissa threw them my way. HA to the in-house dept. who said no to me! Karma, man. No, I'm just grateful for the opportunity and the doors this has potentially opened.As I said in my previous post, doing design work at my new company has been challenging in a good way. I've started to learn all these different techniques I had no idea even existed. As much as I hated Illustrator before, I'm learning to LOVE it. The possibilities are endless. In my spare time, I do various tutorials to learn about these tools and options. Here is a reindeer I made!
1 comment:
The poster looks great...I also love the irony of the whole situation.
Post a Comment