I survived my first week of my new job. I really like it. I took a few days for people to move around and for me to get my actual desk and computer but then I was in business! Thursday was a particularly crazy day but I was glad to be able to jump in and make some sort of contribution. Initially they told me this would be a zero design job but I think I sold myself pretty well in the interview that I’m cheaper and faster than an outside graphic designer and I spent all of Thursday manipulating ads. I think I’ll just start rebuilding them since manipulating is a pain in the butt. But I was really happy I got to do that!
I really like my boss. I forgot what it was like to work for someone normal and organized who doesn’t whine about how much money their dad has and how he’d wish he’d die so he could be rich too. She’s really cool and flexible and laid back but super organized. You should see this cheat-sheet binder she put together for me. The customer service lead on our marketing team is a young guy but totally pro-active and a hard worker. I’ve been really impressed so far.
In the new building, there is a so-called office “graveyard” in a space we’re not renting and no one knows who is. I think it’s a company that just went out of business and left everything. There are tables and half-disassembled cubicles and all sorts of things. Everything is up for grabs. I found a new chair and a garbage can in there for my cube. Pretty awful but a little creepy!
I think I’ll really like it here. I feel really competent in my job responsibilities and confident I can be of good use. I guess the Big Boss Lady is pretty scary but she did buy the whole floor lunch yesterday so I’m on the fence on that one. Our office overlooks a golf course so I watched a bunch of old ladies golf while I was in my temporary, corner cube. I guess a lot of people go through the parking lot during lunch and collect golf balls. I may just do that. But I make sure not to park back there.
The best part of my new job is the snack baskets. Every day there is a basket full of pretzels and a basket full of goodies on the receptionist’s desk and in the breakroom. The first day is was apples and the like but the rest of the week it’s been grab bags of Cheetos, microwave popcorn bags or full-size candy bars. I’ve snatched a ton and am stock-piling the treats in my desk drawer – just in case.
1 comment:
I am elated that you are loving the job. You deserve the best. Save a treat for me:)
Post a Comment