Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm Craving Memorial Day like a Moth Craves Light

I knew last week was going to be a hard week and it's over! The only downside of being on salary so far was that I had to work Saturday with no overtime pay. My co-worker decided to plan a career fair at our campus in American Fork then said it was my event and I had to do it. We actually had a really good turnout on Friday - 40 people, which we weren't expecting. We had a radio remote on Saturday and expected a whole bunch of people, especially since we were giving away David Archuleta tickets (I get to go too!), but we only had SEVEN people the whole day! It was awful. At least we had music and a Wii for a few hours while the station was there. So it was not a fun way to spend my Saturday. Dallin and I did go to the Real game that night and Red Rcok for the dine-o-round where I discovered a live ladybug in my salad, which I almost ate. YUCK!

But I did have a big lesson this week. Thursday was super busy. Work was nuts and I had to set up a display at the South Towne Expo Center and set up for our American Fork event. I came home, cooked dinner, did the dishes, cleaned all three bathrooms, threw in a load of laundry and went to a bridal shower, all before 7 o'clock. I'm not saying this to toot my horn by any means, but it was a lesson that I need to relax. It's ok if the bathrooms wait, or the dishes. We were having company and I wanted everything to be nice and clean but I always put off the later in favor of the NOW's. And when the later's come, there is always another NOW and I could run myself into the ground if I wanted. So as an experiment, when I left for work on Saturday, I left the bed unmade. It was really hard to do and I consciously had to talk myself away from making it, but my wonderful husband made it later so I came home to a nice, organized, clean house.

We were also discovered in our ward yesterday. We were called as the jr. nursery leaders (there are 2 nurseries). We have the 18-24 month olds. They are so stinkin' cute but a handful because they are so little. There are 12 of them, including a set of twins. I'm really excited for it. We have play time, then lesson time, coloring time, snack time and singing time. I think Dallin was a lot less enchanted after one little boy cried hysterically the whole time. I tried to befriend a couple of them and they are smart and really great kids. We also got asked to speak in church on Sunday. I'm only ok with it because then we'll be off that list and it's Memorial Day weekend so hopefully a lot of people are out of town, and most of our branch leaves after Sacrament anyway.

So that's our little update!

2 comments:

nateandalliewilcox said...

I wish that I was more motivated to make my bed...although I must admit that showing our condo has made me be ever so sensitive to any mess at all, and with 2 kids, that's hard. Good luck on your talks, I'm sure you will do great.

Ben said...

Your wonderful mom has been great at reminding me of that very thing, making beds and bathrooms can wait until later. It is a good concept to get down before you have kids, it seems like there is always something to do in the house, work calling etc. that can easily take over spending quality time with little ones and they are much more important! I hope you have a great Memorial Day break!