Monday, August 11, 2008

Parents are Friends

So I had an interesting experience on Saturday that I've never had before. Having my parents meet my boyfriend's parents. Kent & Barb, meet Mike & Mary. It couldn't have gone better. My family had tickets to the Bees game and the Plaizier's had a suite so we ended up using an extra ticket to get the parents to the suite and bribed them with hot dogs and M&Ms. ha ha
Mike and my dad behaved themselves with only a few jabs at Banks vs. Credit Unions and BYU vs. Utah. (They had to throw something around!) They mainly talked about golf and the mutual people they know in the industry and how one became a traitor from a bank to a credit union and vice versa. :) Mike continued his peanut barrage the second my dad walked out the door. Luckily, I was not hurt by peanuts but Tawny took one in the forehead - sorry!
My mom was so cute as we were riding the elevator. She said she was about to pee her pants she was so nervous. I wonder where I get it from?!? I knew Dallin's parents would love her because I've really never met anyone who didn't love my mom. And knowing Mary, I knew they have a lot in common and would get along great. My mom gets really shy in new situations so she was really out of her comfort zone. But like I predicted, her and Mary had a lot to talk about and chatted for quite a while. I think she lingered a bit since it started to rain on the people in the seats. (I pretty much missed the whole baseball game supervising but the Olympics on TV inside were more entertaining than the 13-1 loss by the Bees so I wasn't too upset). My mom still asks me if she did alright and Mary keeps talking about how excited she is to go to dinner with my parents and my Uncle Gary and Aunt Jana who are subsequently in Mike and Mary's ward. Coordinating family schedules will be tricky - I bet they'll have to plan 2 months out.
So yeah, the weekend was really nice. I stuck around Farmington last night to catch the USA 400m relay and I'm glad I did. I think we all jumped out of our seats when the USA came in first by a split second. It was fabulous! I really love the Olympics. The last summer Olympics, in Athens, was when I had just started my last area of the mission. We always tried to sneak a peek at the TV at our mamita's during lunch because all I wanted to hear was the National Anthem. I love that song. So I'll be enjoying the next 10 days or so of competition. Go Team USA!

2 comments:

sexychoco said...

Glad it went well! and hey, that's ok, mike can hit me with peanuts anytime he wants if he invites me to his suite! LOL :) the pics are cute!!

Leelee said...

Amy, you are so right!! Everyone loves your parents!! Though, I think it is hysterical that you have BYU fans on board now! lol