Friday, August 7, 2015

Zoey's First Movie


Today started out as a great day, or what I thought would be a great day.  Zoey slept from 9 pm - 8:30 am, which she NEVER does.  It all went downhill very quickly.  My hormones and emotions and patience was out of control and Zoey has decided she's a baby.  She was talking in baby talk, sucking on the baby's binkies (which is ironic since she hated them when she was a baby), threw a tantrum when I wouldn't let her have ice cream for breakfast, and hits/kicks when she is upset which led to a spanking and both of us in tears for most of the morning.  I was cleaning up messes and putting out fires all morning and lamenting why my house can't just stay a little clean and how on earth I'll be able to keep up with a newborn.

We had a fun play date and went out to lunch.  More tantrums before naptime and we both took a nap.  I really just wanted to run far, far away this evening.  Dallin and I had talked about a date night but part of me felt a little guilty for wanting to get away from Zoey when she is obviously struggling with the changes that are coming.  I know my time with my husband is going to be limited and my time with her is going to be limited.  So we decided to do a family date.  Dallin and I had been wanting to see Inside Out for a while.  We went to Zeponie pizza and ate then headed to the theater.

We were both a little nervous with how she'd do in a movie.  She's really great to sit and watch a show while I shower or do things around the house but this is a LOOONG show with other people expecting quiet.  We got popcorn and a Sprite and settled in.  She did really well in the 1/2 hour of previews because they are only a couple minutes long.  And you know what?  She was a GEM during the WHOLE SHOW!  She started to get a little restless the last 2 minutes but we were amazed.  We had debated going to see Minions due to her recent infatuation with them but I'm not a big fan and I'd heard all the parents hating having to sit through such a dumb show.  I'm glad we took a chance and I'm glad we had popcorn (her favorite!).  I'm also glad she is such a good kid.  She loved Bing Bong in the show and even though the content was completely over her head (as each Island was destroyed she kept asking me what happened) the graphics were bright enough and the pace was fast enough to keep her attention.  The funniest part was in the short before the movie about volcanoes.  There was one part where the volcano blasts out of the water and Zoey jumped a MILE!  I held her tight after that until she calmed down.  We may have to do another movie sometime again!

3 comments:

Suz said...

A family date sounds perfect! Hope this week is going better!

rozanny said...

You'll be an awesome mommy of 2! Just remember that the house comes after the kids... it's okay if your house is a disaster for a few days. Just let it be. It's just this stage of life. I loved that movie. My 7 year old bawled the entire time and then told me it was her favorite movie ever. I bought her a Joy comforter for her birthday. I think she'll like it.

Emily W said...

My parents took our family to the show. My Sammi, 3, bawled (full on wail with crocodile tears) when Bing Bong helped Joy get out of the pit. It was so loud, the entire row in front of us turned around and whispers (words of sympathy from what I heard) and a few others on the verge were pushed over the edge into a full cry.

Sounds like you received a night of tender mercy. Love it.