Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Connor's Birth Story Part I

Tuesday, Aug. 11 I went to my regularly scheduled doctor's appointment.  Things looked alright, my blood pressure was a little high, 138/82 but nothing too crazy, I've seen worse.  The nurse warned me that I had +1 protein in my urine, which has also happened due to dehydration, so the doc would probably send me for labs so to be prepared.  The doc did the exam, still claiming I was 2+ dilated and now 75% effaced.   She found the baby but questioned if he needed an NST but concluded he was just wiggly.  As a precaution she sent me for preeclampsia labs and an NST anyway.  I did my blood draw and urine and was luckily able to do the NST right after while I was still there.  They told me it'd be a few hours before my labs were done.

During the NST the baby fell asleep and they had to keep shocking him.  He did not like that, it was quite comical.  They did a quick ultrasound to check fluid levels and he looked great.  Still sunny-side up, but more on his side.  As we were finishing up I got a call from the doc.  Uh oh.  She informed me that my labs were showing mild preeclampsia and that she'd already called down to labor and delivery and asked how I felt about having a baby today.  Gulp!  It was just so ironic because it was the exact time in my pregnancy when I was induced with Zoey - 37 weeks, 5 days - born at 37 weeks and 6 days.  She said we had some time because they were really busy downstairs so to go home and finish packing bags and drop off Zoey and eat a little something and I'd hear from labor and delivery in a couple hours to schedule a time to go in.

Dallin and I were kind of in shock!  That wasn't what we had planned on doing that day!  Luckily my mom had come by the day before and we'd knocked out most of my to-do list.  I definitely overdid it but was glad for less stress.   I also had slept like crap the night before so I wonder if I was being prepared for what was to come.  I went to get Zoey from my mom's and spent some time crying and playing with her, knowing that would be the last time it was just to two of us buddies.  I regret not spending more time playing with her but I did the best I could with the heat, fatigue, and trying to get things done in general.

My mom followed me to my house and cleaned my bathroom and vacuumed my floors while I got Zoey's stuff together and finished packing my bag.  I finished a few minor things (thank you note, and getting my calling stuff put together) and my mom followed me to my mother-in-law's to drop off Zoey. I left my car for them and cried saying goodbye.  I was really not mentally prepared to have a baby that day.  My mom took me to Chik-fil-a and I grabbed Dallin and I something while he printed some papers off at work and packed his bag.   I called L&D and told them I'd be a half hour late and they did not seem too pleased with me.  But I was doing the best I could on no notice.

I sent my mom to run a couple errands for me and get her Tdap shot while Dallin drove me to the hospital.  We got there at 3:30 p.m. and checked into room 10.  The nurse, Lindsay, was super nice.  She told me she went to BYU and my last experience in labor was so terrible because I was at the U.   Dallin was in heaven.  She served a mission in Argentina and was getting married on Friday!  She checked me and told me I was a fingertip, not a 2+.  WHAT?!?  For 2 weeks I've been thinking I was a 2+ and I was virtually nothing and only 50% effaced.  I was deflated.  I was in for a LONG night.  Dallin told me to not let this beat me mentally before I even started which was great advice because I was mentally struggling. 

Dr. Ponder was the doc on call that night and decided to come check me to be the tie-breaker.  She told me I was a 1-2 (sniff) but luckily said we could just start with the Pitocin and see what happened.  I was so relieved because I really didn't want to do the Cytotek (too long) or the Folley bulb (too painful). Before they even started the Pitocin I was having some contractions, mainly in my back, about every 10 minutes.  They started me on 4 of Pitocin and contractions started coming more regularly and frequently, about every 2-4 minutes.  They weren't terrible but were giving me a horrible lower back ache.  I kept myself busy with some TV and a coloring book.  The doc came in 90 min later and I was finally at an actual 2+.  They wanted to break my water but I told her I really didn't want a head hitting my cervix without my epidural.  They tried to convince me that waiting for the anesthesiologist would delay labor, yada yada, but he said he could be there in 30 min. so they agreed.  Whew.  I was so anxious and shaking from anxiety and the lower back pain, I was happy for some relief.

He did a really great job with the epidural.  I was able to relax a bit after the uncontrollable shakes were over.  It also dumped my blood pressure really low which caused me to be nauseous so they gave me some Zofran and I finally started to feel ok.  So the beginning of labor was kind of rough and I was contemplating my sanity at wanting to do this again and thinking I was NEVER doing this again.  I was at a 3+ at this point. I guessed I'd be up all night and probably deliver around 4 a.m.

Since the Pitocin was working they kept upping it every 30 minutes.  I told the nurse around 11:30 p.m. that I'd been having some pressure in my bum but didn't really feel like I needed to push.  I had actually been fighting those contractions because they were hurting my tailbone so bad (I broke it on my mission) but when I actually rolled with it and pushed slightly, it felt a bit better.  She checked me and I was a 6 and 75%!  The pressure didn't get more intense but started to stick around a little longer so she checked me in 15 min. and I was an 8 and 90%!  She told me that things were just going to pick up and get more intense.  My mom thought my nausea was from transition but it really was my low blood pressure and I flew through transition.  I kept waiting for things to get worse and worse but it really never did.  I was worried about the pressure on my tailbone and that I was going to break it.  So I had the anesthesiologist come in and give me another 1/2 dose of epidural.  They kind of discouraged me to do it because they thought I wouldn't be able to feel the contractions but it was just perfect.  If I was going to break a bone, I didn't want to feel it!  The epidural took the edge off and I was able to still feel the pressure.

The doc came in and checked me about 20 minutes later and I was complete and complete!  He was a good little boy and had turned and was now facedown also.  Whew!  I went from a 6 to complete in less than an hour.  It took them a while to get the room ready and then we were ready!  They had me push with the next contraction and his head was out!  I pushed with the next contraction and he was born!  I pushed about 6 times in 5 minutes (2 contractions) and it was over.  I couldn't believe how easy the end was!  I could totally do that again!  It was a totally different experience than with Zoey.  He was born at 1:00 a.m. on the dot on August 12.  My sister had successfully guessed Zoey's birthday and much to our chagrin, she guessed this one right too!  There is no living with her, especially because she guessed his size right too.  We're taking her to Vegas.

The delivery nurse (who wasn't my fav) told me I probably wouldn't get the whole "sacred hour" (skin to skin) because they were too busy in the unit (the barometer dropped and they said they had all sorts of weirdness going on in the unit - I was so glad none of it involved me or my delivery!) but the time kept going on and Dallin and I got the full hour.  I was so grateful and excited, that was what I REALLY wanted.  Besides, they didn't even get me out of my room until 3 a.m.!  It was ironic because he ended up weighing 8 lbs 1.5 oz. which I rounded up to 2 oz,  and 21 in. making him the exact same size as Zoey!  He looked a lot smaller though.  He had great hair but it was lighter than Zoey's.  He was also born at the exact same time in pregnancy as Zoey - 37w6d (still haven't made it to 38 weeks...)

I got to my room and they went over a bunch of paperwork and my mom and Dallin ended up getting home around 4 a.m.  They didn't leave me alone here until 4:45 a.m.  My bladder kept filling up, getting in the way of my uterus shrinking so they were worried about bleeding.  I had the baby in my room and every little noise kept waking me up.  So I only slept from 5-5:30 a.m. when he had to eat.  Then it was a constant parade of people.  Nurses checking me, housekeeping, lactation, pediatrician, breakfast, birth certificates, new nurses, etc.  Dallin brought Zoey around noon and my mom and sister showed up.  Then my mother-in-law, father-in-law and sister-in-law.  Then my brother-in-law, my other brother- and sister-in-law and my brother and sister again.  I caught about another 1/2 hour nap during there sometime.  I was pretty wasted by the end. 

But Dallin and I did get some alone time over our hospital steak dinner date (which was really gross BTW) and decided on his name - Connor Dallin Plaizier.  

1 comment:

rozanny said...

I'm so glad he's here! And I had that with my tailbone too... it makes labor worse for sure.