Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bottles

Dallin's grandpa passed away on the 6th. We had the viewing last night. It was Zoey's first "big" outing. We just took her for a little while then my mom came to take her for the rest of the time so people didn't put their hands all over her. During the family time before the viewing she started to lose her sense of humor. When she's hungry, she is not patient. Dallin stepped out with her and when she didn't calm down I went out. I could tell she was hungry so we went in search of a place where I could nurse her, hoping to tide her over until my mom could take her home and give her a bottle. There was a little bathroom downstairs and I found a dark room. I stepped in and it was a room full of coffins. Empty, luckily, but eerie nonetheless. I realized (being a rookie on my first outing for longer than an hour) that I had not dressed appropriately and had worn a dress which was not easy access to feed. The coffin room was looking like my only option since it was dark and surely, no one was going to come wandering through there. I could hike up my clothes no problem. I couldn't do it. It was too creepy. I told Zoey it just wasn't going to happen there. So I went searching for warm water to just give her a bottle. Cold water everywhere. In the bathroom there was a little chair so I locked myself in there and nursed her for a bit to settle her down.

When I figured I'd commandeered the single stall bathroom long enough, we emerged, but it was not enough to keep Zoey happy. I luckily found my mom in line waiting for the viewing to open (family time was still going on) and handed the baby off so I could search for warm water. Still cold water everywhere so I headed to the streets. I spotted a little cafe across the street and "ran" in my high heels (which were KILLING me at this point) to beg for warm water. The people there took pity on me and filled up my bottle. Whew! Got the bottle made up and we fed Zoey in the line. I was glad my mom was there to help as I didn't want to take Dallin away from the services and I was so frazzled and had no idea what to do. Rookie mistake #2 - I should have just filled a bottle with hot water and put it in the diaper bag since I have an insulated pocket. Duh.

So we learned a lot on our trip out of our house. I also learned to pack extra burp cloths.

Just as a side note about the last time we saw Dallin's grandpa. We headed over there the day we took Zoey's newborn photos. Mike and Mary were over there since it was there night to feed grandpa and we thought it'd be nice to get a 4 generation photo since you never know. Mike was a little disappointed because he was in shorts and not really dressed up but it still worked out ok.

Grandpa Pete was a bit ornery, as he wasn't in his right mind anyway, but the second Zoey showed up, his whole demeanor changed and he was as happy as could be. He held her and snuggled her and just raved about how much he loved babies and how great they are. He said there is nothing like your first one, how special they are. Then he said number 2, 3, 4, 5 it's just not the same (he had 12!) Mike even tried to touch Zoey and he slapped his hands and said you never touch babies' hands.

He couldn't get over that he was the GREAT-grandpa. He kept saying, "I'm the GREAT GRANDPA??" Then he was confused why teenagers where having kids and losing their hair and growing facial hair. Dallin assured him that he was indeed 30 and married and old enough to have a child. We will treasure those memories. It's bittersweet but we're glad he's back with his wife now and in his right mind.

1 comment:

rozanny said...

I LOVE that picture. I'm sorry about Dallin's Grandpa though. But I do love the way Great-Grandparents adore the babies. My grandma's the same way. She has alzheimer's and doesn't recognize me, but if she sees me with my babies she absolutely remembers me and loves to play and hold my babies.