Monday, April 1, 2013

Blue Eyes

In the quiet moments in the middle of the night, I get to gaze into Zoey's wide eyes and look with wonder the spirit that Heavenly Father has entrusted me with. Her eyes dart to the corner of my room, to the window, to behind the bed, I'm sure to the angels watching over her and giving her final instructions before the veil is closed. She looks with such intensity, taking in every moment. I feel her spirit has such a strong desire to do what is right and to do it correctly. She has such a thirst to learn and in those blue eyes, is so inquisitive. She patiently waits and listens. She seems wise beyond her years. It is amazing to watch this daughter of God, take in a new world with such peace and contentment, with a perfect knowledge of where she came from and where she is going. It's inspiring really.

While she doesn't have many traits of mine physically (except her ears and mouth), her eyes are still blue. We were all sure they were going to turn brown but as time has passed, they are still a steel blue and they may stay that way. Although she physically doesn't look like me (if I hadn't birthed her, I would truly wonder if she was mine), I feel like she is my kindred spirit. The only spirit who truly knows mine, having lived inside of my body for 9 months. Being a mother is so special. How I love mine so, and how I hope Zoey loves me. I can't believe she is here, in my arms, growing and learning. It's all been worth it.

No comments: