Thursday, September 22, 2011

Off the Charts

Monday I woke up to go to the gym and heard Mags and ran down and she was having a seizure. She was all foamy and her legs were giving out and she was disoriented. I got her out and wiped her mouth (which made her jump) and she started frantically panting so I got her some water (which she wouldn't drink) and she was wandering around. We went upstairs and I tried to get her to lay down and relax and she kept wandering so I called Dal to tell him what was going on and she sniffed the wall then her legs gave out and she started shaking a little then more violently then had another seizure. She started choking on her foam so I was watching her struggling to breathe and it was just awful. I told Dallin I was taking her to the vet and got in the car. I unrolled the window and she stuck her head out like normal then she curled into a ball and seized while I was driving. So I had my hand back there to keep her from falling off the seat and she foamed my car big time. So at the vet she was way out of sorts and NOT happy to be there. She kept trying to jump off the platform so I got her in face so she could smell and see me and she calmed right down. The vet was impressed that she was so coherent right after a seizure, especially 3 within 20 min. So they kept her for observation in case they needed to push Valium because they really didn't want her having another one.

They did blood work and it came back that her levels on her current seizure meds were only 12 and they have to been minimum 15-45 to be therapeutic. So the medicine for the last three weeks really hasn't been helping her that much. Probably because she's 58 pounds now! So they decided to double her dosage and recheck her levels in 2 weeks. The vet has been so great to show concern, take time to answer my questions, so understanding and even gave me his cell number in case I needed to call him after hours if she had a seizure. I think she had one Saturday and Sunday morning because I found her laying on the ground with a wet belly. I thought it was pee but now I realize it was actually foam. I'm so grateful I was home on Monday to help her and go get her some help.

My dear, sweet, neighbor has been coming over multiple times a day this week to check on her and give her a treat, then text me how she's doing. It's helped SO immensely because my anxiety has been out of control with all this. And I'm SO busy at work that I need to concentrate but can't because I'm thinking about Mags. So she's helped alleviate that. Dallin and I haven't been sleeping well at night because every little sound she makes sends us into a panic so by midnight, I usually just go get her and bring her to our bed so we can relax. But then she sleeps sideways and I don't get much sleep anyway, but at least I know she's safe.

We love our little (big) pup and hope she's on the mend!

2 comments:

rozanny said...

Hope so! I hope it's soon for all involoved!

sexychoco said...

Hope she's doing better with the new meds!! Great neighbor that you have...I'm glad they are willing to help. :)