Friday, July 8, 2011

Friends

One of my friends got married/sealed today. I've been looking forward to this day for her since she told me she was engaged. I know how stressful planning a wedding can be and feel lucky that she let me be involved in a small part of it.

One day, a few months ago, she emailed me and said that the invitations she liked weren't going to happen and was wondering if I could design something for her. She's never seen any of my designs and I was terrified and felt extreme pressure. What if she hated them? I saw the style that she liked and went to work creating it with my own flair. I thought for sure she would hate them and sent them to her a little embarrassed and preparing myself for a resounding "oh...that's....nice..." I got an email from her that she LOVED them. LOVED them, not loved them. I was in shock. It felt so good to help her out and that she actually liked them. We collaborated on the colors a bit more and I was nervous when they went to print but they turned out really great! It was so fun to get her invitation in the mail knowing that I MADE that! She was so sweet for inviting me be involved in her final dress fitting and just chatting. I feel like we got closer in the past couple months than we have in the years we've known each other. Here they are but I've wiped out all identifying information.

Enough of the tangent. The point is, at the sealing something really hit me. The sealer was talking about how the decision they were making today (to get married) is the single most important decision you'll ever make in your life. How in the scheme of the eternities, life is but a small blip but that decision affects everything about your future and it's a really big blip! I was thinking of my blip I made 2 1/2 years ago (can you believe?!?) and how I'm so grateful I made that decision and have not regretted it for one second. I feel so lucky to have that decision behind me and that it was a seemingly easy one to make when I had my best friend and partner by my side. I feel so blessed to live in the midst of the temple, to have the power of the priesthood here on the earth, and to be able to spend eternity with those we love. Life is amazing.

No comments: