Unfortunately I don’t have pictures or this would be a cooler post. The beginning of this month, my family and friends participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It’s held every May right before Mother’s Day. I find this fitting as my mom is celebrating 10 years since being diagnosed with cancer.
This is my third year running this race. The first time, I did well. Last year I did pretty well considering the horrible shape I was in and my brother ran half of it with me and we managed to shave 15 minutes off his 5K time. I wanted my whole family to participate this year but my dad said, last year, “Yeah right, I’m not doing three miles!” Him and my mom recently started walking again and were ready to face the race this year. I am so proud that my whole family (minus a brother) and my whole in-law family participated.
I know my mom was terrified to face the faces on the backs of the memorial shirts. I told her this is the best race you can absolutely do. To look around surrounded by 20,000 people and know you’re not the only one this disease has affected is inspiring. The adrenaline that rushes through you as the start gun goes off is contagious. The best part is the shirts – “Save second base,” “Stop the War in My Raq,” “We stare because we care,” etc. People take something so somber and laugh in its face.
My mom was diagnosed right after I graduated high school. I don’t want to tell much of my mom’s story because it’s her story to tell but I’m so grateful to her for listening to the promptings to get a second opinion. There was a less than 5% chance it was cancer and it was. Through radiation and medication, she beat it. I am so proud of her. She is now in remission and completely off all cancer-related medication. I didn’t want to pressure her to do the race or face cancer survivors or those memorialized, but I thought it would be therapeutic for her to CELEBRATE her victory and know it’s ok that she made it and for others, that wasn’t their Plan. She has seemed to avoid all things “pink” due to her cancer (Cricuts, celebrations, candy, etc.) and she took the first step this day in embracing how this sickness has shaped her (and our) life.
My brother Greg ran the whole race with me. We did it in about 28 minutes, my best race time to date. I am so proud of him. I wanted to stop so many times (don’t think I was mentally prepared for this one) but he kept me going. I thought I was holding him back but he shared with me that he wanted to stop many times and I kept him going. Dallin keeps talking about how much adrenaline he had during the race and he finished in his personal best too!
My mom shared with me that right before the race started, her and my dad were in the middle of an intersection and looked at the thousands of people in front of them and the thousands of people behind them and just broke down. This disease has touched so many lives, for good and bad and I feel so blessed to still have my mom around to share special memories with me.
Please get your mammograms (if applicable) and do your monthly self-exams. Know your body and know it well. Listen to promptings and know you are the one who truly knows what’s best for yourself. I find it my mission to raise awareness and encourage people to be aware and fight this battle with all their might. I pray one day we’ll find the miracle that will prevent this suffering in the future.
Special thanks to: SR, SR, SH (and sisters), TN, MH, KM, BM, BM, AC, GM, RM, KH, MP, MP, AP, JO and DP for sharing this special experience with my family and for all of your support.
1 comment:
Wow, thanks for sharing this Amy. I want to run (start) with you the next race you decide to do. Thanks for inspiring me.
Post a Comment