Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Did It!

So I quit running over a year ago. I'd jump on the elliptical every once in a while, but as far as running, nothing doing. I did run a 5K last May and wasn't very pleased with my time but I survived. If it wasn't for Suzanne kicking me into gear, my time would have been a lot worse.

The past few weeks I've jumped on the treadmill again. My knees have been killing. Whether it's 35 extra pounds, weakened knees or genetics (or a combination) it's been a rough ride but I do it anyway then take an Aleve. But today I jogged a 5K in better time than my last May run! I was so excited. I slowed down the pace but didn't have to stop once. I felt like with my endurance, I could have gone longer, just my knees were killing (and I don't like running more than a 1/2 hour). But it really was a milestone for me. I believed in myself that I could do it, and I did and it wasn't that bad! I'm training for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 5K on May 9 and feel totally prepared now. If you'd like to join our team, it's "Barb or Bust" in rememberance of my mom's battle (and ultimate victory) against breast cancer. So I'll continue training, switching up my jogging with sprints to keep my body guessing and hopefully trim a few more minutes off my time. I believe I can do it!

But don't get any crazy ideas that I'm going to start believing in 1/2 marathons or marathons!

5 comments:

Confessions of a 30-Something Drama Queen said...

That's awesome!!

Christy said...

Way to go!!

Leelee said...

Good Luck to you!! That is a terrific goal. BTW, help me find out where to donate....I'm having trouble. :)

Carly said...

We would love to come! Thanks! What can we bring?

Leelee said...

Thanks, Amy. I got it. Again, good luck. We love your Mom so much and hope you raise a ton of money. :)