Monday, February 9, 2009

New

So yesterday was our first adventure in our new branch. It's the biggest branch in the Church with about 800 people and two Elder's Quorum's. I guess the inactivity rate is so high that they haven't been promoted to a ward yet. I forgot how scary it was to be new in a ward and not have any friends. Luckily I have a built-in friend with my husband, but we started with RS and EQ so we had to split quickly. My, a family ward is a lot different (and noisier!) than a single's ward. I spent over 3 years in my last single's ward and loved it so the transition was a little harder than I expected. There were about 50 ladies in RS and about 20 babies. I was distracted by all the new faces and cooing that I didn't get much out of church - my bad. Sacrament meeting was packed so we ended up in the overflow with the hard chairs which weren't great for Dallin's back he threw out the other day. Lots of people appeared that hadn't been at church earlier and there was a mass exodus after the sacrament - hence, why we are a branch. It was really overwhelming to not know anybody in the sea of people and I didn't find anyone who didn't have one or two children. I hope to find a few couples who are "just" married and in our same stage of life to be friends with. I just found out that my neighbor from home (who was my neighbor my whole life) is moving up this way with her husband - I am so excited! At least I'll have one friend close by.

I have also learned that I hate building stuff. I'm not good at it. A few years ago, it took me two hours to put together my two-shelf, plywood shoe thing and I was so proud of myself. Dallin helped me put together my bookcase a few months ago, and that was actually fun (probably because I just held the pieces while he did most of the work). So we got an end table and coffee table this week. I started putting together the end table, and after an hour, and only two legs on, I was super frustrated and gave up. Luckily, Dallin likes putting things together so he told me to leave it and he'd do it when he got home. He had it done in a jiffy but as he lifted it, he twisted weird and was paralyzed in pain - enough for him to go to the doctor, which he never does. So it was up to me to finish the coffee table. With his instruction, I was able to complete it. Then we go out and buy a new TV stand, which also requires assembly. Right before I was about to lose it with screws and bolts and washers all over the place, I had to run to my best friend's birthday party and left my poor husband to finish up. Which he did, and it looks beautiful. Probably more beautiful because I didn't have to work on it anymore. :) So I am now sure, that I never want to put together another piece of funiture again. Ever.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm excited to live by you too! We were up there last night and it was less than a 2 minute drive from your house to mine. Good luck with putting everything together.

Megan and Cory said...

Where are you living now? Because I may not be in your ward, but we are still "just" married and could use some friends too... let me know on facebook k?