Feelings of intense sadness have wracked me for the past few days. After we got home from dinner on Saturday Maggie wasn't walking well. She was falling down everywhere. I was standing there and watched her have a focal seizure where she was watching an imaginary fly. She would respond to her name then go back to watching the "fly." She didn't recover well from it. During the postictal phase she was stumbling around, walking into things and experiencing temporary blindness. That's when I started crying and told Dallin that she wasn't ok. That she was getting worse. The new meds, our last hope, wasn't working. We both broke down.
We took time to think, to pray, to ponder. We did not come to our decision lightly, by any means. We've faced this decision quite a few times. Agonizing, but then finding another option. There weren't any more options at this point. It was devastating to come to that conclusion. Once we made the decision, we knew there was no point in prolonging it. It was hard enough on us as it was.
Monday was awful getting through work. The time went too fast. We left work an hour early and went home to spend the last precious moments with our best friend. We laid out in the shade and fed her doggie cookies, hot dog and even Red Creme Soda. We'd never given her soda before but it was a special day for her. She got whatever she wanted. We played ball, took pictures and videos, and snuggled. That hour dragged on but went so fast too. Then it was time to go. I was physically ill.
We went upstairs to have her say goodbye to her sister, Zoey. My mother-in-law was so nice to watch the baby so we could spend the last moments with Maggie. Dallin drove us to the vet and I sat in the back with the pup. We rolled down the windows and she tried to stick her head out the window but her back legs weren't strong enough. I tried to help her. When we pulled in, I lost it. We walked in and the receptionist (who said Mags was her favorite) lost it. The doctor came in and gave us the option to do it outside. We decided that'd be nice for her since she loved outside so much. They spread blankets down behind the building and we sat in the shade and fed her cookies until the sedation made her fall asleep. We kept talking to her and petting her and saying our last goodbyes.
The vet has been more than wonderful to us. He said some really nice things. He said that even if we had a million dollars and spent every penny on Maggie, it wouldn't change the situation. We were comforted knowing we were with her instead of finding her deceased in her crate from a cluster of seizures one day. When they went to finish up, I put my head on hers and I felt all her muscles relax and knew she was gone. I LOST it. I almost passed out from lack of oxygen intake. I just could not get a hold of myself.
I am so sad. Heartbroken literally. The house was so quiet the first night I could hardly sleep. I still said goodnight to her and goodbye when I left the house. That habit is too hard to break right now. Coming home and not having her shaky bum there to greet me sent me into a spiral again. I have some good moments and some not so good. The lows are really low. I don't doubt we made the right decision and am so happy for her to be out of pain but the pain I feel is overwhelming at times. I feel sick and I'm exhausted from crying. I never knew you could love an animal so much. She truly was our first "baby." She made us a family from a couple. I'm leaning heavily on my family now. I'm so glad I have them. It's just hard. It's hard because when I was sad I'd snuggle with Mags and now she's not here to do that to.
I'm not sure we'll ever get another pet. I've heard it helps the healing but it's just too darn hard. I don't ever want to go through this again so I'm not sure. We cleaned up all of her stuff last night because it was just too hard to see. Her empty bed - knowing that she wasn't going to be sleeping there last night - I just want to curl up in a hole and cry.
I had the hardest time because I don't know if I'll ever see her again. I have faith that I will but they were so blunt in conference that if you're not sealed together, you won't be together in the eternities and we're obviously not sealed. I don't know how I'll find her. I so badly want to pet her velvety ears again. But it wasn't fair to keep her here, in pain, suffering, getting worse. So I'm happy for her, sad for us. Keep us in your prayers as we go through this grieving process and heal little by little.

3 comments:
This breaks my heart. I'm so sorry.
Hugs Amy... let me know if you need to get out and distracted...
I believe a loving God would be sure to reunite all families again, and she is truly a part of your family. So sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment