Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finally-updated

**UPDATE - Surgery scheduled for March 9!!!!**

I finally had my surgery consult yesterday. I can't imagine having to wait another 4 weeks for it. I would seriously go insane. Especially since it was just a 1/2 hour little thing with no earth-shattering information. Looks like the medical world is just a "hurry up and wait kind" of place.

Dr. Sharp was super nice and seems very competent. He took the time to answer all our questions (and we all know how busy he is by looking at his wait times) so I appreciated that. He thinks he'll be able to "deliver" (yes, he actually used that word) Vampire Baby out via the DaVinci robot (laparoscopically) - Google it, it's quite fascinating - although it is quite large. He said it very likely could be affecting my fertility (along with the Prolactin) so hopefully this is a giant step in the right direction. Either way, it'll be good to have it gone. It's been twinging a lot lately and will give me side aches after running. I'm sure it did before, I'm just acutely aware now. I explained to him what a vampire baby is but he's never seen Twilight so I think he thought I was just weird. ha ha

He said the chance of it being cancerous is less than 1%. Having to open me up due to blood loss is about 10%. But they will keep me in the hospital overnight just to monitor. All pretty good odds.

He needed to look at my scans to see how far into my uterus the stalk goes. If it goes deep and they have to cut the uterus open to get it all, we won't be able to try for 6 months. We're really hoping it's superficial so we only have to wait the 2 months. This whole waiting, waiting, waiting thing is really starting to grate on me. With the robot they'll have to put 5 holes in me, he said I'll have some good "bullet" stories to tell at the beach if I wear a bikini. I laughed and told him, there is no way I'd be seen in a bikini with my body whether or not there were bullet holes.

My uterus should heal nicely. He'll put an adhesive over it to help it grow back correctly. If they do have to cut into my uterus, then I'll have to be closely monitored during pregnancy and for sure deliver via c-section at 36 weeks so my uterus doesn't rupture during labor. Sounds lovely.

They were supposed to call me back today to schedule but I hadn't heard so I called and he's looking at my scans right now. His medical assistant will call me back tomorrow, Friday, or even as late as Monday to get things scheduled once they have a game plan. Surgery will probably be 2-3 weeks out. My sweet mom asked him to squeeze me in sooner if at all possible, I really appreciated that. I'm trying not to be too pushy since my body will be in his scalpel-filled hands (or robot hands). But I'm glad I waited for the best, I'm just sick of waiting in general.

“Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!” - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I sure hope I'm enduring well...

5 comments:

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

Amy, waiting, waiting, waiting.....I am very familiar with that!!

I had to have Ryan and Heather C-section because of the fact that they had to totally reconstruct my uterus because I had 2 small ones instead of one normal size one. That is why I lost my first child that lived for 10 hours because I delivered her at 24 weeks as I had no room. I am sure things will go great as there have been a lot of advances since my reconstructive surgery back in the mid 1970's and the birth of Ryan and Heather in the early 80's.

Long, isn't this!?!?!! :)

Jill said...

Wow Amy! My prayers are with you!

Love Jill

Emily W said...

Amy, I am so happy things are starting to look up. Hearing your stories sometimes make me wonder about the healthcare system.

Good luck to you. I know things are tough but its nice to hear that you are still able to find the positive in life.

Suz said...

More prayers coming your way. I hope they can get you in soon, soon, soon.

Maria said...

Oh I'm glad it looks good. Those are really good odds. And medicine these days is amazing! I, too, hate the waiting and wondering game. Patience is a virtue...that I don't really possess. :)