Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Happenings


Our February has been pretty low-key. Dallin was in Portland for Valentine's so we didn't do much. With Christmas, our anniversary and Valentine's within 6 weeks of each other, we really don't need gifts or anything.

We did, however, have a reservation for the Penguin Encounter at the Aquarium on President's Day. We've been trying for a year to get to see the penguins but we could never get there early enough since the encounter is limited to 8 people. Groupon had a 2 for 1 deal a few months ago so I snagged the passes up AND they now take reservations! I tried to get us in on our anniversary but they were all filled so we settled for the 20th.



The Aquarium is a nightmare. It's small and crammed full of people, small people, and hot. Glad to hear they are building a huge one in Draper. That is the only way I'm going back. I vowed to never take children there, especially children in strollers. We met up with our group and they took us behind the scenes where they keep some birds that they take for presentations at schools. They were mainly parrots and such. One species (don't remember which) actually has the mentality of a 5-year-old so they are doing lots of studies on it. Kids that age can read so I found that fascinating! They also showed us how they make water for the penguins and regulate the temperature. The temperature in their habitat and water ranges from 38-45 degrees. We bundled up and crammed into a small room to meet the little guys!





It was about 45 degrees in there. One guy was from North Dakota and refused to wear a coat. I guess they don't get cold in North Dakota. They open the door and let the penguins come in and out as they please. The first one in, not unusually, was Ghost Rider. He's kind of the bully and boss of the penguins. But the others don't like him and don't listen to him and pull out all his tail feathers. He only had one left. He was pretty funny and curious. He nibbled on my coat and Dallin's pants and shoelaces. The poor kids were terrified. Penguins don't like to be touched so we just had to sit there as they came up to us and projectile pooed. They were sooooo cute! I looooove penguins. It was cool to learn about them. They can jump 4-5 feet out of the water but only about 6 in. high on land. They can also swim up to 22 (!) miles an hour. We met Gentoo penguins which are about knee-high. They find mates and there is one couple who has been together about 4 years and another 1 year. They are hoping for chicks this summer. The gestation period is only 3 weeks. ?!?!?!

So we had an awesome time! If your kids love animals, I highly recommend it. Nothing else going on, just my appointment is finally TOMORROW!! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Maria said...

I am so behind (as always) on my reading of the blogosphere. I had no idea you were dealing with so many medical issues as of late. I am so sorry for physical and emotional roller coaster you have been experiencing. I'm so happy to hear that you have received some answers and that you have an appointment with a great specialist. My best friend, Lisa, has dealt with infertility for YEARS and was finally blessed with a son just over a year ago after undergoing ivf. It is an emotional journey to say the least.

Actually, we LOVE the aquarium, but it is all about timing. We got passes last year so we have been a bunch and some days are great and others are not so great. Last time we were there it was awesome and then out of nowhere a bus full of junior high kids showed up. We hit the road in a hurry! :) The penguin encounter looks awesome! Dylan would absolutely die if I let him do that. The kid adores animals of all sorts!

Anyway, good to catch up a bit (even if it's only through the Internet). We will keep you guys in our prayers. Love you!