Sunday, December 11, 2011

Challenge

This week we've had a really ruff time (pun intended). I'm sorry if this is just always about Mags but a lot of you ask about her so I thought I'd give an update.

Maggie woke up Monday and was acting weird (she wouldn't eat, that has NEVER happened). I suspected a seizure so I had my neighbor check on her at lunchtime and she was acting weird again so I ran home on my lunch break and found seizure evidence. I took her to the vet and put her on seizure watch. I picked her up that night because she'd had no problems throughout the day. That night she had a couple seizures so we met the vet down there for emergency treatment. He sedated her and got her situated and she spent the night. It was kinda nice for us because we were able to relax and get some sleep.

She stayed there Tuesday on seizure watch and had a little one that morning. Luckily the doctors were around and able to give her valium. That afternoon she did well so we picked her up. Again, around 9:30 p.m. she had another seizure. This time I had the valium ready and gave her a shot. ME. Putting a needle in something. My adrenaline was off the charts. I called the vet and I took her to bed with me. She had another one around 10:30 so he met us down there around 11 p.m. and we did the whole sedation and hospitalization thing. They kept her Wednesday and she did really well and they had me leave her overnight and all day Thursday again so they could keep an eye on her. She did well so she's been home since Thursday. She had a mild seizure that night, only about 10-15 seconds and just a little leg twitching. She has had some mild "face" seizures where she breathes weird and her face twitches. It's strange because those little ones take a while for her to snap out of but the larger ones, she snaps out of quickly.

For a while, we were thinking the worst. We upped her meds again and are hopefully on the mend. She's been doing alright. She's quit eating her food, I think she hates it because it's the healthy kind, little oinker. But she's really been filling a huge void for me and the thought of losing her nearly made me go out of my mind. I was a wreck all week. Dal had his moments too. So we're just trying to enjoy our time with her and only time will tell what the next step will be. We still have the option of the potassium supplement but that will really bring on the side effects and she just might not be the same and we don't want to lose her cute little personality. So keep a little prayer in your heart for Mags.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Amy, she sure is a cute dog. I especially love the reindeer photos in your last post. Hang in there!

Laura said...

I will pray for her AND you guys. She is a sweet dog. I feel bad she has been going through such a hard time. Do you know WHY she is getting all these seizures? I never knew dogs could get seizures like this. Poor Maggie!

Hang in there! Prayers for you guys!

Ann said...

Amy, I'm so sorry. I can't believe all that you've had to go through with her. It's so sad. I will be praying for her health!