Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bob

Every Wednesday, my grandpa and his best friend, Bob, work the 3 p.m. Salt Lake Temple session. I didn't think I'd be able to go today but was able to and figured I'd surprise my grandpa. I got there and he wasn't there because he's sick but Bob was. Bob is a spry 90+. You'd never know it if his age spots and wrinkles didn't give it away. The way he walks (unassisted) and drives, his mental capacity, etc. you'd think he's 75 tops. He's so kind to drive my grandpa to the temple every week. They are two "grumpy" old men whose sense of humor, slight irreverence and spunk make them endeared to those around them.

My heart was so full to be a part of their 3 p.m. group today (and in the past). There is always a group of stalwart saints who show up weekly to serve in the temple. If one is missing, there are questions asked around as to where they are. One particular old man, I just want to put in my pocket and take him home with me. He reminds me of a turtle - bald, wrinkly, glasses, sad droopy eyes and a beak nose. He always wears a white cardigan. His face always looks so sad and my heart just aches for whatever is troubling him, if anything. About a year ago, my grandpa and Bob asked him where he'd been and he said his wife had just passed away and that's why he'd missed a few weeks. But he still comes, every week, by himself, greeted by the 3 p.m. Wednesday group. As much as I'm not a fan of getting older, to be able to serve so consistently and be surrounded by such spiritual giants is something I really look forward to.

I was able to go to the temple today without worry as Maggie was at the hospital getting spayed and all went well. The below picture shows her passed out on the couch. I feel like a horrible "mom" but know it is ultimately for the best. The other picture I just had to post because sometimes her ever-growing jowls get stuck behind her new canines and it makes me laugh. :)

No comments: