There are all sorts of allegories related to running a race and life. I've run enough races to know this, it's uncanny the similarities. I'd like to thank all the people who cheered for me, a stranger, along the route when I wanted to quit the most. Brought tears to my eyes because I really needed a boost. I'd like to thank my BFF S for inspiring me to run this race. Even though I'm in pain right now. :)
My official time was 2:18:43 which I am really happy with. My goal was 2:15:00 so not too far off and since I'm not a street runner anyway, so I was ecstatic. It was long, it was hard, and if there had been people to shuttle us to the end, I would have hopped on. Trust me, it's a lot easier to drive 3 miles than run 3 miles (especially after you've already done 10). It was such an experience, one where I had to dig down deep and even say prayers on never-ending stretches of road. And I did it. Here are some of the things I learned:
1. Use downhill streets to your advantage. I was averaging an 8 minute mile for the first four miles which really helped when I needed to back off.
2. Running that far turns your fingers to sausages, mine are still swollen.
3. I'm grateful for the injury to my IT band I had a few weeks ago that spurred me to buy a brace just for this race. I never would have made it without it.
4. There are not enough signs to tell you how far you've gone. You never know when you're half-way (in life and the race).
5. Running uphill the last mile is BRUTAL. Need extra training for this.
6. Don't sit down too quickly after finishing or you won't be able to get back up.
7. Glide is AWESOME. Saved me lots of chaffing in unmentionable areas.
8. Be gentle with yourself. The massage I got after was the smartest thing I did. Running 13 miles was not.
9. A shower has never felt better.
10. Lots of people are out there running the same "race" as you. It's hard, it sucks, it's cool, it's educational and we should all say little prayers for those along the way who need our help and encourage those who are struggling right along with us because eventually it's all over and you're back in the arms of your loved ones again.
8 comments:
I was waiting for this post! So well put, thank you! I'm so glad you did an awesome job and learned what you did along the way. It will definitly help me! I'm so proud of you! And I will always cheer for you in life as well! Thanks for being such an inspiration and great friend! I'm so glad we were MTC companions!! You were/are the best!! Love your guts!!
I am so proud of you! I'm glad the massage helped. Can't wait to run the much shorter 5K with you in a few weeks.
Well done! I'm so proud of you!
I love the post! You are amazing!! Great job! I'm proud of ya!
Congratulations! I loved reading your post about your experience and how you related it to life. Good tips, by the way. Oddly enough, it actually makes me want to run another race! As soon as this baby is born, I'm going to find one to start training for...although I'll need some major time to train for sure. Anyway, congrats! That's awesome!
Congratulations Amy!!! I'm so proud of you for doing that! Did I tell you Kirk and I started running? I'm not in shape enough yet to run 13 miles, I would die... pretty sure just one mile straight may kill me still. ;) But I'm trying, thanks, in part, to you! :)You're awesome! I love ya!
You are simply amazing, I totally look up to you! What a great accomplishment. I loved reading your post!
way to go AMY!!!! SO proud of you. A half marathon is a great accomplishment. Your time was GREAT! WAY TO GOOOO!!!!
Come run another half in October with me :) and the Salt Lake FULL next spring... what do you think?
Post a Comment