![]() |
| The slight damage done by the knife the police officer used. |
I was pleasantly surprised with the officer showed up faster than I anticipated. I was really stressed because at this point I was nearing the time I needed to leave for my appointment and I was stranded outside. He told me he'd never been on a call like this (I can only imagine the stories he'll tell his family tonight!) and he couldn't pop a window open, jimmy the door open with a credit card and even called for backup to bring him some paper clips to pick the lock. We kept contact with Zoey, who was giving us the play-by-play of the movie so we didn't feel the need to kick the door in. Especially since it would damage the property and I don't want to have to replace that door right now. He even tried to entice her with candy which I thought was strange and luckily didn't work. I kept trying to tell her Olaf and Frosty were outside and to come to the door, no luck with that one either. He let me borrow his phone and my mom was braving the treacherous roads to meet Dallin somewhere downtown to get the key then make her way to me. In the process, as Dallin was leaving the parking garage, the lady in front of him got stuck so he had to help push her out of the garage and so it was taking him extra long - just my luck.
I got the call that my mom was on her way from downtown and the policeman had been really unsuccessful but they told me it's probably be 45 minutes for her to get there given the conditions. As Officer Sheldon was picking the lock with the paperclips he was using this big knife too and I thought for sure he was going to cut his finger off. As we waited for my mom he actually used the knife to kind of get into the plate and get the lock button to release and we were in! I asked if I could give him a hug. I ran in and found Zoey hiding in the corner of the living room. Her movie had ended and she'd been hollering for mom for the past few minutes. I told her to thank Officer Sheldon and she was super shy and whispered goodbye. Afterward she was so excited to talk about the police officer.
I am so grateful to those who are here to help and willing to when a mom has a spastic moment and is in a panic. My mom arrived shortly thereafter and in the process all the roads got plowed so I was only 10 minutes late to my appointment. My mom even went and made extra copies of our keys to avoid this in the future - something we've talked about doing but just never have.
I laughed a lot to keep from crying. My sweet neighbor brought us cookies that afternoon and asked what had happened. I guess the whole neighborhood had been calling her asking what was going on. We were quite the show!
The receptionists at my appointment told me I made their day and since all their kids are grown, it is really a hysterical situation to them and they hope I laugh someday too. I'm sure I will. Someday...
I laughed a lot to keep from crying. My sweet neighbor brought us cookies that afternoon and asked what had happened. I guess the whole neighborhood had been calling her asking what was going on. We were quite the show!

2 comments:
So glad ou documented this little adventure. It made me laugh that Zoey just ran back to watching Olaaf.
The things kids do. What a stressful time but a good bunch of lessons learned there. A few experiences lately have taught me that I shouldn't ignore, even though I still do, that small voice even when it sounds ridiculous (maybe she'll lock the door, grab the swimsuits, or pack her snow pants).
Post a Comment