Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Man

Dallin and I have some big financial goals so we decided to do a low-key Valentines Day this year. I found Valentines confetti for .88 and some candles at the dollar store. I made ham and funeral potatoes.

We didn't do any gifts but I decided to decorate with hearts to tell my sweetheart some of the many things I adore about him. Maggie even got in on the action. I didn't have any ink for her paw print so I tried mud but it just mucked up the paper. I don't know what possessed me, so I used ketchup thinking it'd at least leave a mark. Then I added sprinkles to the ketchup so you could really see it. Yum - ketchup and sprinkles. Maggie did LOVE licking the ketchup off her paw and the cement.

I went to FOUR stores looking for a heart-shaped cookie cutter. I think cookies are a dying trend. All there was were cupcake liners and frosting piping bags. I finally borrowed one from my in-laws. The irony is that I don't even like sugar cookies that much! I just haven't cut any out for so long and it sounded like a fun, semi-romantic activity to do together.

I chickened out and bought the Pillsbury sugar cookie dough from the store. So we set out making frosting (which didn't turn out great and there was no red food coloring to be found). Then Dallin decided we should make the cookies from scratch. We tried that and the dough was too gooey so we got little blobs. We ditched those (because they didn't taste great either - anybody out there have a good sugar cookie recipe?) and resorted to the Pillsbury stuff. I went to Schmidt's yesterday to buy him a real (pink!) sugar cookie to make up for the fiasco. We had fun spending time
together and cooking (trying to at least).

And just for your viewing pleasure because she's so adorable - Maggie with her new toy! She is teething so bad and keeps losing more teeth and has become the proverbial "teenager" in the process. We hope she snaps out of it soon and gets some relief from her mouth! Don't you just want to squeeze her??

1 comment:

Megan said...

I totally have a heart cookie cutter! And I owe you from borrowing your ice cream maker! Next time you better ask me before running around looking for something.