Sunday, August 14, 2016

Connor's Birthday Party

We celebrated Connor's birthday party a few days early on the 8th (instead of the 12th) since we were leaving for the LONG drive to California on his actual birthday.  We had a BBQ at my in-laws house with family and close friends.  I decided to do a "sports ball" theme as Connor loves balls.  We had hamburgers and hot dogs with sides and chips and lemonade.  He was in love with the balloons we got and we tied one to his high chair and fed him little bits and pieces of things.

After dinner the older kids ran around the yard and played on the swing set and in the waterfall and Connor got to open his presents.  He got some clothes, lots of toys and some money.  He was pretty stoked to open the wrapping paper and had lots of little hands to help.  He was not happy when I'd take the present away to move on to the next one.

I made cupcakes and put little soccer ball ring toppers on each one.  I made him a baseball smash cake the night before.  It was a little intensive as the mold wasn't very good and didn't cook the middle very well but I was pretty happy with how it turned out overall.  I forgot to get it out of the fridge early and the frosting was pretty solid for him to dig in to.  It was probably better because he cried when he got it all over his hands.  He wasn't too keen on eating the cake anyway and was really more concerned about being dirty.  We stuck him in the bathtub after and got him all set and he was much happier.  He also got in on some swinging action and I think he had a great time - as did everyone.

I did buy some cupcakes and a smash cupcake for his actual birthday that we did the morning before hitting the road.  We shared the cupcakes with everyone in the car and he (again) didn't like the frosting all over his hands from the smash cake so most of it ended up in the garbage.  I saved a couple presents for him too so we could celebrate his actual birthday.  It got confusing for Zoey because we got her some presents to keep her entertained on the car ride and I think she thinks she'll get presents for Connor's birthday too all the time.  It'll be really disappointing for her next year!









No comments: